Saturday, 29 November 2008

WANT A COOKIE???



You probably know I'm not the biggest expert in the kitchen. The only thing I can really make is pizza (using a cheese scone recipe as a base) and cookies. So when the urge to bake overtakes me (which admittedly is rare) I tend to stick to one of these two options. It gets a bit boring though.

So when I saw Lacey's post about snickers cookies a few weeks ago, I wanted to try them out. The problem is, I don't actually LIKE snickers. But I figured I could experiment with a different chocolate bar instead.

I checked out the actual recipe last weekend and it sounded a bit complicated for my liking (too many ingredients really - I like things to be as easy as possible) so I decided to use my usual chocolate chip recipe for it instead. And instead of Snickers, I used a Dairy Milk Caramel bar. Yum...

Anyway, here's the recipe. To be honest, it's more for my own reference than anyone else's as I only have the recipe on a piece of scrap paper right now and if I lose it, I'm screwed. But feel free to try it out!!!

75g/3oz margarine
75g/3oz brown sugar
1 egg
few drops vanilla essence
150g/6oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
1 Dairy Milk Caramel bar

(this makes approximately 12 cookies, so I tend to double the quantity of everything to make more)

  • Rub margarine and sugar together
  • Add egg and vanilla essence, mix in
  • Stir in flour and salt gradually
  • Roll dough into round balls with half a section of Caramel bar in the centre of it. Place balls on a greased baking tray.
  • Put in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 10/15 mins

They're not the most GORGEOUS looking cookies but they are pretty damn nice taste-wise (which is the important thing, right?). My flatmates loved them and the caramel worked a treat inside them. Once I'm no longer on a diet I might try experimenting with different sort of "fillings". Peanut butter cups might be nice, for example.

I've included a close up of the middle of a cookie below, just so you can see what the finished (half-eaten) result is like.


Anyway, that's it! I never in a million years thought I would post a recipe on my blog but there you go. Proof that I occasionally have been known to use a wooden spoon for cooking purposes.

Not that there's any OTHER purpose I would use it for, of course . . .

10 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I can't imagine ever posting a recipe on my blog either, but I guess you never know. Taste definitely trumps appearance, and I'm impressed with your experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Cookies :D yay! Me loves cookies :P haha, but I decided to make some sacrifices. It's been a week or two since I last ate oreos or similar cookies. I think I ate some snacks the day I had the munchies, but just that. Why am I torturing myself without cookies? well, because I'd rather have beer on Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time for everything, right? I've never heard of that candy bar before. I wonder what the American equivalent is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, my,god! how yummy! I am drooling... mmmmmmmm coookiiiiies.. with chocolate! maybe you could see the idea to millies cookies?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cookies yesterday and pizza today! You are using your wooden spoon a lot this weekend! :p (Do you even use one to make a pizza base!?)

    I *love* to bake, and I'm also a bit of a chocolatier - my truffles especially are to die for! I may have to try your cookies out though - mmmm, Cadbury's Caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanx for sharing looks so delicious .. i was confused wat to make today coz my sis is coming up .. ur cookies will be sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must honestly admit when I first saw this post I thought that picture was something completely different.
    Though the recipe and bottom pic looks so yummy, I might just try this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh that's making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg this post just made me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)