Wednesday, 7 April 2010

THE TWITTER TIME CONTINUUM*

*I'm not really sure what the title actually means, but it sounded good to me, and that was the important thing!

I love Twitter. In fact, Twitter has taken over from my Facebook addiction. (Thank God SOMETHING finally kicked that habit to the kerb.)

The thing I love about it most is because I follow people all over the world, Twitter is never quiet. When I wake up in the morning, the people on the other side of the Atlantic are just going to bed. The people to the east of me are halfway through their day. For the first half of the morning the people in the States and Canada disappear and then reappear at around about midday, just waking up and making their commute into work while I happily realise I've made it through half the working day and only have a few hours to go. In the meantime, I continue to be jealous of those who are several time zones ahead of me and already are home from work or out in a bar.

At the weekend, this reverses slightly. I am jealous of those to the west of me who have their full weekend still spreading ahead of them while my Saturday is nearly over and I've wasted most of the day in bed. I feel smug that those ahead of me have nearly finished their Sunday while mine is only halfway through and I COULD technically still make the most of the day. (Although I probably won't.)

Am I a geek to be thinking about all this stuff? Probably. And I think about it A LOT. I mean, one of my favourite things on the internet is the Daylight Map. Have you ever seen it? Right now, as I type this at middayish in Scotland, all of Australia, Japan, most of North America and part of South America are in darkness. It's so cool!

When I do all my pointless thinking about twitter, I think about that map. About how there's always someone in the world awake and online. At least once a day, even just among the people I follow, someone is:

***Getting angry on their way to work (usually me!)
***Trying to decide what they want to eat for lunch
***Feeling sad and needing a hug
***Feeling ridiculously happy and not knowing why
***Wondering if work is ever going to end
***Wanting to punch at least one person they work with
***Making a cryptic comment that will make pretty much everyone who follows them go "What the FUCK?"
***Recounting a joke/drunken incident that makes everyone want to laugh

All these people, some I've met, some I haven't, getting on with their day . . . and I get to share in it.

I like that. It's nice.

Is that weird?

22 comments:

  1. Not weird, not weird at all - in fact it's pretty awesome and i am totally going to play on the Daylight map forever now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope not - as I know just where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a twitter account and a facebook account , but for some reason I feel to exposed so I dont use them very much. Actually the twitter account I used only for 2 days....Am I normal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not into the Twitter at all but I always think about time differences, usually because I'm wondering what my best friend is doing in Arizona! I know that when I'm just packing up to leave for the day, she's just getting in to work and that makes me feel smug. And then if she rings me early evening on a Sunday I feel depressed because she still has the whole day in front of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love twitter too...

    but this cartoon hits it squarely on the head.

    http://tinyurl.com/dlygbk

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I really like Twitter, especially the part where I can see people all over the world getting on with their lives. I don't feel its stalking, I like to be part of the buzz of the world... if that doesn't sound too weird?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never realised that you were on twitter :) I've just followed you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're weird, I am weird because I think the same.

    I love how the internet has connected me to a world of people I would never otherwise have met.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not weird at all, P. I'm not on Twitter, for fear of adding yet another addiction to my list. But it's very interesting that you think in this way. I've never thought of time zones/lifestyles/etc like that. I'm going to have to start thinking that way on Sunday nights when I'm dreading work the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never used twitter.

    But it's not weird at all. It's kind of like following the blogs of someone we've never met.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love twitter for a lot of those reasons too. and you can ask a question and have a bunch of different answers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not weird at all. I love that when I'm being an insomniac at 3 a.m. you lot in the UK are approaching midday and amusing me on Twitter :) Plus, I love maps so that daylight map is my new fave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not weird - I think the exact same thing! And always feel a little twinge of envy when I'm sat at work and someone on the other side of the world is doing something much more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never thought about Twitter that way...and you are right, it IS awesome. It might make me reevaluate my Twitter non-participation.

    Side note: You are one of the few non US blogs I follow and I have always loved how your days were always a bit ahead of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love twitter - Sockington the cat cracks me up and Shitmydadsays is funny...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a twitter account but I've never used it. I feel like I can do the same by updating my status on FB. And I already get overwhelmed with the amount of status updates on facebook, I feel like with twitter it would all just spin out of control and I wouldn't be able to follow anyone. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. See, I always pity you guys, because you're just heading to work when I'm going to sleep at night. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. have you ever checked out the website wefeelfine.org?
    It's pretty much like crack if you like seeing how people feel...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Daylight map! It also makes me feel sad and wonder where i could be in the world. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL it's me usually, the one who's upset about my Sunday over when you're still have like, 6-7 hours to enjoy it :p

    ReplyDelete
  21. I try to do very little twittering for exactly this reason! The amount of sleepless nights I've had just because I've had to stay up because I if I didn't, I'd miss something!! :D

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish my blog had a twitter account. I cheated on my blog with twitter and never really went back.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)