Tuesday, 20 July 2010

PITA PIZZA . . .

Mmmmm - pizza. The finished article.


As you know I rarely post recipes on my blog. Mainly because, well, I can't cook or bake very well. My "specialities" are cookies, tablet and pizza. This is basically the fourth recipe I've ever posted on my blog, and - guess what? - it's pizza again!!!

This one is a slightly healthier version though. I've been dieting for the past couple of weeks and last night I was craving pizza - but I knew that generally they are not really a healthy option. So I decided to do something I've been thinking about doing for a few days now and making a pizza using a wholewheat pita bread as the base. But I wanted to make it a little bit different from a normal pizza and, doing a twist on one of the Dominos pizza bases available, I wanted to have a layer of cheese in the middle.

And much to my surprise . . . it worked!

So here's how I did it . . .

Wholewheat pita bread split in half with Laughing Cow triangle

I started off by slicing the pita bread through the middle and spreading one Laughing Cow Light triangle over it. I also added some chopped up red onions (I was worried all my toppings wouldn't fit on top of the pizza), then closed the pitta bread back over and pressed it down so it was flat(ish).

My choice of toppings - ham, mushroom and red onion

I added some pasta sauce to the top (in this case, it was a Weightwatchers tomato & garlic sauce), followed by my toppings of choice - these were mushrooms, more red onion, and ham. I followed this up with some shredded up mozzarella.The pita pizza ready to go into the oven

Placing it on a baking tray, I put it into my oven, which I pre-heated to 200 degrees C. This was just guesswork, as I didn't really have a clue what I was doing, so it was a big pizza improvisation really! After I checked on it, I decided to add some cheddar cheese to it too, so I chopped up some of that into tiny cubes and sprinkled it on top of the pita pizza too.

I'd say I left it in the oven for 20 minutes. When I took it out, I sliced it into four so it would feel like a proper pizza, even though it was smaller than a regular one, obviously!

Only one slice left - I nommed that pizza pretty damn quick!

I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out. I really enjoyed it, it filled me up (probably if you were really hungry you could serve it with a side salad too) and I felt quite saintly in eating it. Okay, so it still has cheese on it, but basically the cheese is the only sinful thing about it and, let's face it, you can use less cheese than I did, or use low-fat versions of everything. I also think the extra layer of cheese inside the pita itself added to the overall taste, and didn't contribute many more calories or fat! Result!

So I'll definitely be repeating this recipe again. Even though it is nowhere near as fab as my other pizza (the one I used the cheese scone recipe for the base), it still was really delicious. In fact, I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it!


If you were making this pizza, what toppings would you put on it?

11 comments:

  1. Now I want pizza!!

    I love bacon, hamburger, green peppers and olives. Yummy.

    Guess I'm making pizza tomorrow!!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce and chicken instead of peperoni.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of tablet referred to as food, I had to read check out the link and I must say, it sounds divine!

    I have an award for you, please stop by to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! I love pita, and all things related, so I'm sure I would def go for some Feta cheese on that shizzle...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mushrooms, olives, a bit of ham and baby tomatos.

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welp, I can't bake or cook either but this looks good enough and simple enough that I can attempt it for myself! (And maybe the husband...if he's lucky. Wife fail? Hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pita pizza is one of my favs! I usually go to the grocery store and hit the salad bar for pre-chopped peppers, mushrooms and olives, maybe tomatoes or onions for a delicious (and healthy!) veggie pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm that looks amazing. I made pizzas recently with wholemeal tortillas but they were just TOO thin, this sounds like an awesome option. I love (love!) those cheese wedges,t oo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peppers and jalapenos, baby!

    With Domino's garlic & herb dip on the side, oh yeahh! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me SO hungry!!! All I can think about is pizza....

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)